St Mary's church, Tissington dates back to Norman times- records show it was established by 1227 and probably built some time around 1100. The tower has walls about 4 feet thick at the base and one of the original windows may still be seen on the south side. The belfry contains 3 bells.
At one time the church had two entrances, a Norman doorway as used today and the second was via steps to a first floor gallery which was removed when the church had its fine organ instated in the late Victorian period (The door, which was changed to a window, can still be seen to the left of the Norman doorway). This fine early Norman doorway protected by a more recent porch has early Norman carvings. On the side pillars to the doorway wear can be seen, reputed to be the evidence of much arrow sharpening.
"The Church is predominantly Norman"
St Mary's church contains an interesting Norman font and many monuments to the Fitzherbert family, including a memorial which was erected to the memory of Francis Fitzherbert, who died in 1619 and to his son John, who died in 1642. Francis is in the lower compartment facing his wife, whilst John is in the upper storey facing his wife Elizabeth who was one of the Norbury Fitzherberts.
"Many epitaphs to the FitzHerbert family"
The churchyard holds many notable graves including one in memory of a lost life on the Titanic. Tissington is famed for its annual Well Dressing, which is always held on Ascension Day. A service of blessing is held and all six wells are blessed. A village Church Fete is always held on the last weekend in July and is held in the grounds of Tissington Hall. There is a small admission charge to the Fete.
"Tissington village is really lovely. It's got a village pond with crazy wandering ducks, a olde worlde sweet & antique shop & a superb butchers amongst others. The Hall is beautiful & you can potter around the village, visit the Hall or go on the Tissington trail. Well worth a visit if you are in the Buxton area."